Today I had a three hour conversation with a client who I haven't
seen in ages. The last time I saw her was in passing at Costco while I
was still pregnant with Carina. So at least 8 months ago. We hugged and
talked about meeting up. But that didn't happen immediately. People
collide when they need to most, don't you find? Turns out she needs me,
and I need her.
We met first when I was in a frantic "get back to
normal" phase after Cecilia was born. A week after, to be specific. She
was one of two women who came into my life as clients that week, and who
would turn into two of the most important and transformative
relationships I have developed in my adulthood. Reconnecting with this
woman was amazing for my soul's focus. Have you ever had a conversation
with someone where you're coaching them or giving them advice and you
realize that you're saying exactly what you need to be hearing yourself?
Yes. It was one of those.
I told her a story about
something that happened during my labor with Carina. I was in the zone,
at home in my bathtub, being the walrus. (Anyone who knows my birth
story knows what that means. If you want to know, please ask.) It was
about time to head to the birth center, and Kris had gone around letting
everyone know. Francesca came into my bathroom, into my sacred birth
space, crying. She told me she was afraid that I was going to die.
In
that moment, I met her right where she was. I went to her in her fear,
and I counseled her. I told her what a good job my body was doing. How
strong I was. How my body knew just what to do, and so did the baby, and
that we were working together so beautifully. I told her that on the
off chance that something wasn't happening correctly, I would be whisked
off to the hospital for a c-section just like last time.
Just like last time. The time I needed an emergency c-section. The time that I was working so hard to forget this time. The time that I was comparing this experience to, and the time that I was so afraid would be repeated.
I was talking to my daughter, but I was also talking to myself.
I was coaching myself. Pumping myself up. Telling myself all the things that a good doula would. "You're doing it."
"You're so strong."
"You can do this."
"You're going to be OK, no matter what happens."
I
didn't realize until later that Francesca coming in at that moment
needing what she needed was so necessary. But since the time that I did
realize that, I look for opportunities for personal growth in the things
that I am saying to others, and the things that they require from me.
It's all a series of tests, right? A series of possibilities, and of
chances for growth. But sometimes I forget. Sometimes I forget for a
relatively long time.
So meeting with this woman and then getting to tell that story? Double clarity whammie. Doubly redirected.
Having
three children at such different stages, plus another adult human to
share life with, provides at least a hundred opportunities a day for
these moments. Add in my clients and friends and you've got a couple
hundred more. The day is full of chances. It's just being able to spot
them that's the challenge.
Often they are overlooked.
Sometimes they present as annoyances. As another someone needing another
thing. As a bad mood or a temper tantrum. But my faith was renewed in
the power of taking a breath and diving in as if it was your own issue.
Because, in truth, it probably is. And even if it's not, I am positive
that there's some aspect of that work that will propel you forward if
you let it.
No comments:
Post a Comment